Our SAY program gives you the chance to really learn Spanish or Maya by taking classes and living with a local host family in our Mexican-Maya town (many of whom are proud to say they now have air conditioning!). By enrolling in our SAY Program, you will also be supporting our local community by keeping our English classes affordable and helping the local economy. We reinvest 10 percent of your SAY cost directly into our local English language program.
Since we are near the tourist circuit, but not on it, you will quite literally be living the language in our lovely town, having ample opportunity to practice your Spanish or Maya with friendly, encouraging locals. We welcome students from all walks of life: families, students, groups and professionals.
If you want a true immersion experience, go to Na’atik. You won’t regret it.
- Individualized attention and a guarantee of no more than 5 students in a class
- Highly-qualified bilingual local teachers
- Local Maya linguists and educators to teach you how Maya is written and spoken today
- Group classes with students at the same level or private classes for achieving your personal goals
- Standard schedule of 18 hours of class per week. 15-hour weeks available for younger learners
- Modern, bright, air-conditioned classrooms and breezy garden palapas (local thatched roofs) for class
If you have specific needs for your study, we offer one-on-one classes. We are willing to create classes to focus on topics you choose.
Our Teaching Philosophy
Our philosophy is to teach real-life, communicative language skills in a student-centered environment that encourages our students to continue learning and growing outside the classroom. What sets our immersion program apart is that students learn through cultural integration supported by their dedicated local teachers, engaged homestay families, and a welcoming community. Our main goal is to get our students communicating in their target language, not to overanalyze grammar. We push our students to interact, practice and learn while building their confidence and providing effective feedback.
The small class size, the experience of the teacher and the overall Na’atik experience exceeded my expectations in every regard.
Homestays are our primary accommodation option and living with a local family is an integral part of our immersion experience. Our warm and friendly homestay families will spend time with you, making you feel welcome and giving you the opportunity to practice your Spanish or Maya.
All of our homestays have indoor plumbing, potable water, beds, and fans. you can choose to stay in a modern residence or a more traditional home.
- Three home-cooked meals a day
- Separate entrances and en-suite bathrooms available on request
- Air conditioning available for an additional cost
- Special diets available on request for an additional cost
Contact us or see pricing information below for more information about shared homestays and groups
My family took me in, showed me their community, and invited me to be a part of their life while I was in Carrillo, and that’s an experience I’ll forever treasure.
You can also choose to stay in a hotel, however, we strongly suggest you eat meals with a local family for ‘real’ language practice. Program costs are higher for hotel and apartment stays – please ask for details.
Our colorful town of Felipe Carrillo Puerto – Carrillo – is the perfect place to learn Spanish. As very few people speak English, you’ll be fully immersed in a new language. People here speak slowly, are easy to understand and will take the time to talk to you. As a small town with a tight-knit community, it is also extremely safe. Being off the tourist track, you also avoid over-inflated prices.
Carrillo is rich in history. Located in the heart of the Zona Maya, the town was founded in 1850 during the Caste War of Yucatán as Chan Santa Cruz and continues to be a source of pride for the Maya.
By studying here you can immerse yourself in the language, experience modern Maya culture and contribute to the local economy. To find out more about life in Carrillo, check out our blog.
Carrillo has been wonderful. I have loved it. It has been very easy to get around on my bike and everyone has been very nice and friendly.
Our Excursions and Activities
The following optional activities and excursions are available as part of your Na’atik experience for an additional cost:
- Excursion to Chichen Itzá, Hubiku Cenote and Valladolid
- Excursion to Cobá, Casa Cenote and Tulum
- Excursion to Chacchoben and Bacalar
- Bike tour of the Sian Ka’an Biosphere
- Maya massage
Please inquire for more information.
Study with us and subsidize our local English program that offers small classroom sizes, dedicated teachers and quality interactive course books in a town with a 70 percent poverty rate.
|Homestay and small group classes||$599 USD per person per week|
|Two people in shared homestay and small group classes||$569 USD per person per week|
|Additional private language classes||$18 USD an hour
|Homestay and private classes||$749 USD per person per week|
|Extra night in homestay||$25 USD a night|
|Supplement for special diet||$5 a USD day|
*Discounts for teachers. Five percent discount if you inquire with a teacher email account in your name
*Discounts available for families and groups.
*Five percent discount for long-term stays of five weeks or more
- Pick up from the Carrillo Puerto bus station
- Introduction to your homestay family
- Orientation and support throughout your time with us
- Walking tour of Carrillo Puerto and Welcome Dinner
- Homestay plus three meals a day
- 18 hours of Spanish or Maya instruction
- Trip to a nearby Maya lagoon for kayaking and swimming
- Free cooking class for students staying two or more weeks
- Bike & bike lock
- Coffee or tea during classes
- Use of the school’s WiFi
- Na’atik t-shirt and Certificate of Completion
- Option to continue 1:1 classes with your Na’atik teacher over Skype ($15 per hour)
- Plus 10 percent of every booking goes towards subsidizing English classes for the local community!
Thank you, Na’atik. I fully recommend them to anyone who wants to get beyond academics and learn how to actually speak to people, how to platicar in Spanish or Maya.
Please get in touch for information about bespoke group bookings. We have previously hosted middle school, high school, college and teacher groups and are able to organize local travel and excursions in addition to language classes and accommodation.
Express your interest in joining the program or ask us a question using the form below or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.